Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sunday Brunch: How Gambling Changed My Life for the Better

On January 18th, 1980 I was given my first introduction to gambling. As many of you know I was raised by a southern Californian father to love all teams Los Angeles - the Dodgers, the Lakers, and even the artists formerly known as the Los Angeles Rams. In the winter of my third grade year, I watched the Los Angeles Rams eek into the playoffs with a 9-7 record, upset the heavily favored Dallas Cowboys 21-19 in the Wild Card round, and shut out the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9-0 in the Conference Championship to reach their first ever Super Bowl.



Waiting for them in the Pasadena Rose Bowl were the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers who had won the Super Bowl three of the previous five years. They were the team of the decade and everyone knew it - except for me. I was eight - and the world didn't really extend much beyond my favorite players, their team, and some of the teams in their division. At the time, I just worried about the Saints, the Niners, and the Falcons - yes, it was that long ago. We'd beaten those teams to make it to the Super Bowl, so "Steelers Shmeelers," I said, believing deeply that anyone with Vince Feragamo's hair would never lose at anything important EVER. 


The "line" - as it was defined to me by fifth grade sports betting prodigy Jasper Thelin - had the Steelers favored by ten points. Jasper, being the benevolent little bookie that he was, told me he would throw in an extra point, giving me the Rams +11. I told him I didn't need points, took them anyway because I didn't want to look stupid, and shook his hand to seal the wager. That Sunday, Los Angeles lost to Pittsburgh 31-19, I lost $8, and the Rams lost another fan to the up-and-coming San Francisco Forty Niners. 

I gave up gambling after that - in part because I didn't like losing and in greater part because the Forty Niners were so good that nobody would take my action. Instead I focused my pre-pubescent energy on sports fanaticism. I saved my allowance for Topps football cards, football jerseys, football pennants, and just about anything Forty Niner-related. I even bought this cake from my "sort of" friend Dustin's parents the day before his tenth birthday.


Sunday mornings had me swimming in a sea of scarlet and gold. Dwight Clark jersey - check. Matching albeit too large sweat pants - check. Six boxes of Hi-C Ecto Cooler - check. Good luck pineapple-flavored Home Run Pie (almost gold and almost delicious) - check and check. Although the games usually started at 1:00, the kids in my neighborhood were generally out on the street by nine thirty role-playing what we were sure would be the next record-breaking performance by Joe Montana and the gang. Those were the days...


Since then, two major events have taken place deeply affecting my football viewing and appreciation: free agency and my re-introduction to gambling. Free agency in all sports makes being a fan a much more flexible experience. While I still root for the Forty Niners today, I'm also rooting for Alex Smith in Kansas City, Mike Nolan in Atlanta, and Mike Singletary in Minnesota. Gambling in sports, however, makes being a fan not only very flexible but also potentially lethal. On any given Sunday I will root for any given team depending on many different circumstances. If there's one thing I've learned it's that blind loyalty to your team or any team at all is a recipe for financial disaster. 

Today, instead of scarlet and gold, my living room is littered with 32 different coasters bearing all the NFL team logos. I only put my sugar-free diet sodas on the coasters of the teams I'm backing that day, and the last Home Run Pie I ate was after a Special Brownie party my senior year of college. And instead of role-playing my NFL heroes of the week in the morning, I teach my daughter math by having her slide the points I'm getting or giving that day on her grown-up sized abacus. 


Nonetheless, it's still Sunday, it's still football, and today is still the best day of the year. If you have time before kick-off - post your first experience in the comments section. Who knows - maybe your story will help other sports betting virgins feel safer.

Enjoy the roller coaster ride everyone,

Vinny and Marco




2 comments:

  1. I guess you could say my first official betting experience was my first year of fantasy football when I believe I picked up Peyton (it was his breakout year), Terrell Owens, Larry Johnson (the year he put up 8 TDs a game) and Curtis Martin (the year he was a late round pick and was one of the top backs in the year). Great stuff - If I remember correctly I think I lost only one game that year and that was before we had ESPN telling us everyone to play.

    To me the best part of betting is that feeling when you hit your bet late in the game and it makes all those other losses worth it. It's the same feeling you get when your team scores the last second go ahead touchdown but with betting you can get it watching the OAK @ JAC game. I can't remember exactly what game it was but this year's NFL finals where all but two games were blowouts I hit a stupid $5 total score prop bet that made me $60 when Miami's scrubs put up a last second shot to win by 20. Needless to say I lost it all the next day but it was still exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an awesome fantasy team - dating yourself a bit, too. There's something called Draft Street now where you can actually make money playing fantasy. I'm sure it's addictive, fantasy football is not my strength. I've played for two years and used the cheat sheet wizard both times - awesome tool.

      As for winning late, I hope we do it tonight. I think I'm putting money in on the totals.

      Vinny

      Delete