Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

NBA Playoff Pick-a-thon Day 40: My Imaginary Friends

 POST-SEASON RECORD TO DATE: 47-27 ATS 

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS: 4-4 ATS 

KYLE'S NHL PICKS TO DATE: 46-27-1

KYLE'S MLB PICKS TO DATE: 129-82-7

KYLE'S UFC PICKS TO DATE: 9-6

Ahhh, the sweet satisfaction of losing. 

Marco and I have finally solved the problem we have of letting our emotions guide us at times through the turbulent waters of sports handicapping. Solution: make the smart choice by imagining we're betting a much larger sum of money than we can afford to lose. In case you didn't catch the italics, please re-read the last sentence rather than running to your bank and draining your savings account. By imagining the stakes were higher than just our reputations here at The Spread Zone, the Miami Heat (-3) was the sensible choice coming out of a Game 3 in which they were finally clicking on all cylinders. Their ball movement was exceptional, their role players were making shots, and all the while they made it appear effortless.

                       
                   "Do I have anything in my teeth?"

By backing my least favorite albeit the most dominant team in the NBA, I placed myself in an ideal situation for maximum in-game enjoyment. When the Indiana Pacers raced out to an 11-0 lead, I was exhilarated by their defensive energy and the up-tempo style they were playing. This is the Pacers team I love watching. Feed the post, run the floor, create points off turnovers, and put the pressure on Miami to respond.

                       

Then Miami responded - with a 13-5 run of their own. I sighed aloud, then thought, "Well, at least I'll be doubling my imaginary millions." When the game continued in this back and forth fashion, I found myself appreciating leads held by both teams equally. When Indiana was ahead, not much was at stake. When the Heat grabbed the lead, I was buying imaginary stuff from imaginary websites on my imaginary brand new laptop.

                                

When, however, the game was tied at 89 with six minutes left in regulation I began dreading the possibility that Miami just might win the game by 1 or 2 points, effectively and retroactively killing any enjoyment I'd experienced all evening. Fortunately, late mistakes by Miami and questionable calls by the refs (a balanced theme affecting both teams equally) tipped the scales in Indiana's favor and they put the game away 99-92 behind 23 points and 12 rebounds by big man, Roy Hibbert.

                       

For those of you disappointed by the joy I've managed to find in defeat, please know that had the Heat won I would have bought you all brand new imaginary Smart Phones so you could call me to complain about it. Unfortunately, you'll just have to e-mail or leave your thoughts in the comments section below. 

Fortunately, however, if it's the joy in winning you're looking for - please read on. Kyle is on an historic run, the likes of which we've never witnessed in TSZ's 295 day existence. Seriously, though, the kid's unreal. And with ten days to go until the San Antonio Spurs play somebody, it's a good freakin' thing, too. 

Peace out, home fries. May the spread be with you all.

Vinny and Marco

KYLE'S CORNER: Swimming with the Sharks


Unfortunately for San Jose any swimming they do will be on vacation somewhere during the off-season as they lost a thrilling Game 7 to the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Fortunately for me and anyone out there taking my advice, we went 2-0 in the NHL last night, 6-2 with the MLB picks and are now statistically swimming with the best sharks the capping industry has to offer.


If I were superstitious at all, I'd worry aloud about the statistical skies falling on our heads in hopes that repeating myself would be akin to checking the stove three times before leaving home. Knowing it's inevitable, however, I'm just going to enjoy the ride, let the house burn down, and in the meantime - keep on winning.

Let's recap:

Tuesday Overall: 8-2: 80% 

NHL: 

Tuesday: 2-0
Overall: 46-27-1
Current Two Week Streak: 11-2 (85%)

MLB: 

Tuesday: 6-2
Overall: 129-82-7

Current Two Week Streak:  34-11-1 (76%)

Wednesday's Action: 


Like I said before, it's almost impossible to maintain the streak I'm on, but like the Miami Heat during the regular season, it's also impossible to know exactly when to bet against me.

NHL: 

Detroit Redwings @ Chicago Blackhawks: Chicago to win.



MLB:

Pitchers to Follow (bet on their teams):


WSH:   Zimmermann (8-2, 1.71 ERA)
NYY:   Phelps (3-2, 3.96 ERA)
STL:   Lynn (7-1, 2.95 ERA)
COL:   Chatwood (3-0, 1.90 ERA)

Overs:


LAD:   Capuano (1-3, 5.60 ERA) @ LAA:   Weaver (0-1, 4.91 ERA) O8
TB:   Hernandez (2-5, 5.73 ERA) @ MIA:   Koehler (0-2, 3.18 ERA) O8
MIL:   Estrada (4-2, 4.94 ERA) @ MIN:   Deduno (0-1, 10.13 ERA) O9
TOR:   Rogers (1-2, 4.56 ERA) @ ATL:   Medlen (1-5, 3.16 ERA) O8
CIN:   Arroyo (5-4, 3.39 ERA) @ CLE:   Masterson (7-3, 3.20 ERA) O8

Good luck guys!

Kyle


No comments:

Post a Comment