Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

NBA Playoff Pick-a-thon Day 56: The End Is Near...

                          

NBA POST-SEASON RECORD TO DATE: 51-30 ATS 

NBA FINALS: 3-1 ATS

KYLE'S NHL PICKS TO DATE: 51-39-1

KYLE'S MLB PICKS TO DATE: 166-136-7

KYLE'S UFC PICKS: 11-6 (8-0 on confidence picks)

KYLE'S TENNIS PICKS: 2-0

With only a few days left in the NBA post-season, I'm not taking an official day off but rather a calculated half day. You see, with today being my wife's birthday and tomorrow conveniently being Father's Day, I feel obliged to set a high standard of subservient excellence in hopes that short term memories will influence tomorrow's outcomes. The Miami Heat wish they were in my shoes, but with three day's off between games we have a feeling Father's Day in San Antonio is going to feel a little different than here in Northern California. Tune in tomorrow for the details. 

                

As an early Father's Day gift, I am proud to announce that my daughter and I earned second place honors in a local radio station's contest, winning two tickets to this Thursday's San Francisco Giants-Miami Marlins game. I'll preserve the mystery of my own identity until the made for T.V. afternoon special "Vinny and Marco Can't Handicap No More...Because They're in Prison" is released, but the panel of judges said it was the priceless look on my five month old daughter's face as she was all decked out for her first Opening Day three years ago. First she got us on T.V. wearing an Angel Pagan halo at our last game and now free tickets! This parenting thing is totally paying off.

                  

That's all from Vinny and little Vinnessa today - please know I'm kidding - but will be back in the morning with a startling Game 5 prediction for the NBA Finals. And by startling, I mean you pretty much already know who we're taking.

Vinny and Marco

PS At the risk of being called irresponsible and trusting that most repeat visitors to TSZ aren't here for my brilliant gambling advice, I'm going to put my 1-1 record on the line and take another stab here at tonight's NHL Stanley Cup action. Mysterio, if you're reading please feel free to correct me.

Boston Bruins at CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS: This is an original six Stanley Cup match-up (whatever that means) for the first time in a couple of decades, which tells me I'm dealing with two organizations with a lot of pride so the series is likely going 6 or 7 games. The Bruins didn't coast into the Finals with a sweep, they earned it over a talented and highly touted Pittsburgh Penguins squad. Yes, a triple overtime loss in Game 1 of any championship series is deflating, but the Bruins are like the Indiana Pacers of hockey - they are young, hungry, and have a lot of heart. Remember, I know nothing about hockey but I know a lot about the psychology of sports. This game will end in regulation but it will have some defensive carryover from the OT battle - a low scoring 2-1 affair. Take Boston and the Under. 

                      

KYLE'S CORNER

The Ultimate Fighting Championship Saturday has arrived yet again. There is an even bigger weekend coming up in July, but for now I'm putting my 11-6 record on the line and bringing you a host of picks for tonight's action. Since I am 8-0 on my UFC confidence picks, I am ranking them accordingly for your choosing pleasure. 

Betting Totals:

NHL: 51-39-1
MLB: 166-135-7
UFC: 11-6 (8-0 on confidence picks)
Tennis: 2-0

Numbered in order of confidence/value matrix (please comment if you have questions):

3. Jake Shields:  By decision +361, within 3 rounds +430

In his last 7 fights, 6 went to a decision and all of the wins were from a decision victory. If his opponent is weak, however, he will go for the submission. Underdog vs overvalued opponent. (Keep in mind this is an underdog pick)



2. Pat Barry:  Win by KO/TKO +130 odds

Barry has gone to decision only once in his entire career. Every win he has is an explosive knockout. His opponent also has the propensity to stand and throw bombs, so there's a strong chance of being FOTN and KOTN type fight (fight / knockout of the night)



4. Alexis Davis    -400

The odds say everything here, so this is nothing exciting from me, use in whatever way you want. Can't see her losing here.



5. Ryan Jimmo    -250

Another favorite for good reasons, I don't waste time explaining them.



1. Roy Nelson v Stipe Miocic : 

Fight doesn't go to decision    -260
Nelson wins by TKO/KO    -140

Roy is on a 3 fight streak of knocking out his opponent in the first round. He has an absolute bomb for a right hand, and a solid chance of taking home knock-out of the night honors.



Good luck!

Kyle








6 comments:

  1. Yes 1 being most 5 being least. Also for NHL keep in mind Chicago are 10-1 at home in the playoffs, I'm not touching this game cause it's a coin flip to me personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confused - if 1 is most confident and 5 is least, why is such little confidence put in Alexis Davis and Ryan Jimmo, the ones that have the best odds and that you seem to have the most confidence in?

      Delete
    2. To quote the post: "Numbered in order of confidence/value matrix."

      I was dumbing it down above, the whole point is it's done by a confidence/value matrix. Alexis Davis and Jimmo are very Favorited to win and the odds reflect that, so there is very little value in taking a -300 to -500 favorite. So while I'm confident they will win, who cares, everyone knows they are going to win. However there is great value in Roy Nelson and Pat Barry to knock out their opponent cause the odds are +money or close too ( I found Nelson to KO for +110).

      It's easy to just take big favorites I'm trying to bring value to a fighting sport that's hard to find value in.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for answering my questions - I don't care how you explain it though, your UFC picks are my go to picks now, and great to parlay with some of the more obvious fights.

      Props to you on the Shields bet tonight. With that and the Thiago Silva pick last week (both +180), you've correctly picked two underdogs to win, which based on my limited UFC experience, doesn't happen all that often. Nice work dude

      Delete
  2. fair enough, i parlay'd davis and jimmo anyway. I only found out a parlay is the same thing as an accumulator haha.. british problems >.<

    ReplyDelete