Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

NBA Playoff Pick-a-thon Day 20: Klay Breaks the Mold in Texas


POST-SEASON RECORD TO DATE: 37-15 ATS 

CONFERENCE SEMI-FINALS: 7-1 ATS 

CONFIDENCE EFFICIENCY RATING (CER): 76/107 or .71


TOP CONFIDENCE PICKS THROUGH DAY 19: 14-5 ATS  


I just got of the phone with Marco. It took ten hours, but he's finally convinced the Warriors aren't going to somehow blow the game that ended last night.

One of my favorite scenes from the 1979 Monty Python classic "The Life of Brian" is when Brian is accosted by a group of people who are convinced beyond reason that he is in fact The Messiah. 

                    

"I'm not he Messiah," Brian protests in frustration.
"I say you are lord, and I should know I've followed a few," John Cleese counters.
"He's the Messiah," the gathered crowd chants. 
"I'm not the Messiah," Brian screams, "Will you please listen - I am not the messiah. Do you understand? Honestly!"
A woman in the back of the crowd stands up and says, "Only the true Messiah denies his ability."
"What?" Brian says, "Well what kind of choice does that give me. Alright. Alright, I am the Messiah." 
The crowd erupts simultaneously, "He is. He is the messiah," and bows down to their prophet. 

I'm not saying Marco and I are as funny as Monty Python or that we deserve religious zealotry when it comes to our praise, but I do recall someone in our small circle of handicappers here at The Spread Zone saying, "with the Spurs loading up on Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson will get redemption for fouling out of Game 1 by leading all scorers in tonight's Warriors victory." Falling in line with our prophecy, Klay Thompson scored 29 points in the first half - 34 overall - and the Warriors held on to a 19 point lead this time, ending the Curse of the Alamo last night by beating the Spurs 100-91.

                                

"Are Marco and I psychics?" reporters have been asking incessantly since the end of Game 2 last night. No, of course not. We're just Golden State fans who know that inside the organization, from the GM down to the coaches down to the players, that their motto has always been, "Nobody beats us thirty-one times in a row on their home court. Nobody." That made the prediction practically like following a recipe. 

As for the Miami Heat, who didn't see that one coming. I love picking Miami and rooting for the Bulls. It's win-win, especially when it gets out of hand so early that I actually spend a little time with my family in the evening. My wife is a big fan of blowouts. My three year-old daughter, on the other hand, still roots for both colors that are playing, so she gets a little upset when it's not close. 

                    

As for tonight's game, I have a good feeling our winning streak is going to continue...because there are no freakin' games on the schedule? What the heck is up with that. All season we get TNT Thursday Night Basketball, but during the playoffs they take Thursday off. Don't want to preempt that Law and Order or NYPD Blue marathon. It's really ridiculous that two series continue on an every other night basis while the others lose any momentum by taking five days off. I'm already starting to forget who the other teams are. The only positive I see coming out of this is the fact that the NBA playoffs will overlap smoothly with the NFL pre-season.

Don't worry, dear readers, in lieu of NBA picks this evening, we have continued coverage from north of the border on the NHL and MLB games on Kyle's radar.

Enjoy the NCIS or CSI or whatever other crappy TLA (three letter acronym) TV show is on.

Vinny and Marco

BONUS COVERAGE FROM KYLE'S CORNER IN CANADA

NHL: My #1 and #2 confidence picks both hit and my least confident #3 lost narrowly so 2-1 on the day.

Which leads my total now in NHL to 11-5.

MLB: Another total push day at 5-5, disappointing again, but tragically ironic how razor thin 2-3 of the loses were to winning. 


Which makes my total now: 22-16-2

Overall, considering I'm capping 2 sports here on a large scale, not too shabby. Plus my higher confidence picks are winning en masse like Napoleon's old strategy against Europe.

Here are today's picks:

NHL: I'm capping all 3 games so here we go! (Numbered in order of confidence)
3. New York Isles @ Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh to win, Pittsburgh to score over 3.5 goals, Pittsburgh to win in regulation and -1.5, and low confidence Over 6.

                      

2. Ottawa @ Montreal: Montreal to win. Facing elimination at home expect Montreal to pull out the win here. No additional bets look good.

                         

1. Minnesota @ Chicago: Minnesota's broken with injuries now, they are a racehorse with a broken leg: Chicago to win, win in regulation, win -1.5.

MLB: Two days in a row of even-steven, and razor thin loses, hoping today the wind gusts in my favour (that's favor for you Americans):

Hot pitcher ride: (3-1 yesterday)

                      

ARI:   Corbin (4-0, 1.80 ERA)
DET:   Fister (4-0, 2.48 ERA)
NYY:   Sabathia (4-3, 3.31 ERA)
OAK:   Colon (3-1, 3.62 ERA)

Overs!

ATL:   Teheran (1-0, 5.08 ERA) @ SF:   Vogelsong (1-2, 7.20 ERA)  O7.5
TOR:   Dickey (2-5, 5.36 ERA) @ TB:   Price (1-3, 6.25 ERA)             O7
NYY:   Sabathia (4-3, 3.31 ERA) @ COL:   Francis (1-2, 7.27 ERA)    ***TEAM OVER Yankees! O5

Good luck all,

Kyle

                        












No comments:

Post a Comment